STARZ announced today that it will be doing a TV tribute to the late Andy Whitfield the original Spartacus who passed away on September 11th.
Tune in to Starz on Sunday October 2 at 9/8 c for five of the fan favorite episode marathon to showcase Whitfield’s most memorable performances as Spartacus in STARZ REMEMBERS THE SOUL OF A CHAMPION
“We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and colleague, Andy Whitfield,” Starz President and CEO Chris Albrecht said in a statement Sunday night. “We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in `Spartacus’ and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life.”
STARZ’ tribute will showcase five episodes of the “Spartacus: Blood and Sand” series, including the premiere and finale episodes.
The grace and class that Whitfield showed throughout his entire illness and the love that was poured onto him by Starz, his co-stars and fans of the show is a wonderful thing to see. It goes to show that these smaller networks really do operate more like a family with fierce and intense loyalty and genuine care for one another.
Several actors took out a full page ad in their trade magazine Daily Variety.
Andy Whitfield Tribute Schedule 9/8C
- Ep 101 Red Serpent – A Thracian warrior, enlisted by the Romans to fight, has his destiny seized by an act of rebellious violence. As punishment, he faces death by being forced to battle in the gladiatorial arena.”
- Ep 105 Shadow Games – Batiatus (John Hannah) is presented with a gladiatorial opportunity of a lifetime. Spartacus (Andy Whitfield) and Crixus (Manu Bennett) must overcome their mutual hostility to fight as a team against a legendary and unbeaten opponent.
- Ep 107 Great And Unfortunate Things – Overcome by the pressure of Batiatus’s control, Spartacus must make a choice: leave his past behind and assume the mantle of a champion gladiator, or die.
- Ep 110 Party Favors – Spartacus and Crixus are set up to fight in an exhibition match for Numerius’ birthday – but Crixus is intent on blood.
- Ep 113 ‘Kill Them All’ – Spartacus’ fury culminates in the stunning unforgettable season finale.
The network is set to re-air the entire season of “Spartacus: Blood and Sand” on December 16, 2011.You can see re-runs of Spartacus Blood and Sand on Starz watch for the new season of Spartacus: Revenge starring Liam McIntyre in January 2012.